If there's one plate of food that says “party,” it's the cheese platter.
Attractive and satisfying, a cheese plate is the perfect starter for any social gathering. Your co-op deli offers a fabulous made-to-order cheese platter, but putting one together is also easier than you might think! Here are some tips:
The cheese platter
- Serve cheese at room temperature! The cold from the refrigerator inhibits its flavor, so take your cheese out half an hour before guests arrive to allow it to “bloom.”
- Provide a serving utensil for each variety of cheese.
- Serve a selection of three to five contrasting cheeses. Think different tastes, colors, and textures, like mild with robust (Brie with blue cheese), fresh with aged (Boursin with aged Gruyere), or soft with hard cheeses (chevre with Parmesan).
- Create a themed tray by offering cheeses from one region or source, or showcase an array of cheeses made from different milks (cow, goat, sheep).
Whether you serve them individually or on the same platter, some foods are perfect complements to cheese. These include:
- Fresh and dried fruits
- Crostini, flatbread, and other crackers
- Hearty and crusty breads
To create an antipasto platter, include a mix of marinated vegetables (we love Jeff's Naturals!) and cured meats.
Wine and beer cheese pairings
In general, a wine that comes from the same geographic area as the cheese will be a good match. Here are some other pairings:
- Goat cheeses and dry red wines
- Cheddars with sweet wines and pale and brown ales
- Fresh, medium, and hard cheeses with crisp, fruity red or white wine
- Cheeses with bloomy rinds (like Brie) and fruity red wines or light, dry champagnes
- Swiss cheeses with dark lagers, bocks, and Oktoberfest beers
- Feta and wheat beers
- Sweet cheeses with fruity beers
Check out the offerings—especially the many unique local cheeses—at the co-op.
And really, you're in Wisconsin...no matter which cheeses you choose, your platter is bound to be a big hit!
Looking for a bit more help?
We offer FREE cheese slicing at the Smoothie counter.
Or, download our full menu of Plentiful Platters & Crowd Pleasers for pickup or local delivery!