Our Definition of Natural Foods
We strive to offer choices to fit a wide variety of household budgets and lifestyles.
The ever-changing marketplace, combined with continued changes in the way our food is produced, ensure that we will always be kept on our toes regarding how to choose which products are on our shelves.
As a cooperative, we believe you have the right to know how we make those choices. Here is what our purchasing guidelines look like today:
Basics will give preference to products that meet the following standards:
- Grown or produced locally (In WI or within 100 miles) or regionally
- Certified organic
- Cruelty free
- Certified humane
- Antibiotic and hormone free
- Fair trade
- Naturally flavored or colored
- Minimal/responsible packaging
- Meets the need of people on specialty diets, such as wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy free, vegan, etc.
- Requested by Basics Co-op Owners
We will not knowingly carry products that contain or were produced with:
- Artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Nitrates or nitrites
- Hydrogenated oils (trans fats)
- High fructose corn syrup
- Antibiotics or growth hormones
- Animal testing
Our Boycott Policy:
Basics does not directly participate in brand boycotts if the products meet our quality standards and are requested by Owners. We will, however, investigate whether or not we might replace a product or brand with a similar quality option from a company whose ethics and values align more closely with those of the Co-op.
At Basics Cooperative, we take your health seriously. We advise all customers to communicate with your physician regarding any new nutritional supplementation or dietary regimen you decide to undertake. Basics Cooperative staff does not diagnose disease or prescribe and/or recommend any herbal, homeopathic, supplemental, or other natural health care regimen. We are happy to share any third-party information, research or data we have so that you, the consumer, can make an informed choice regarding your health.